Monday, March 14, 2011

Did Someone Say Newsboys?

So my BFF went to Winter Jam yesterday with the youth.  Due to the fact that we live in different towns and if you're over eight, I generally don't know what interests you, I had no idea the event was taking place or who was even there.  She rattled off some good people, people I've seen before, but the closing act brought back memories.

Yes, friends, she said, "Newsboys."

Let's take a stroll down memory lane...

It's the spring of 2003(?) and a certain ex-Newsboy (for the sake of this post, we'll just call him Phil Joel, because that's his name) was coming to lead worship at UK.  This would occur at Memorial Hall, in the evening. 

Now at the time I was residing at the UK Wesley Foundation, which presented me with friends and a slight dilemma.  Memorial Hall was a mile away and I walked to class all the time.  I didn't feel like walking, so in a fit of laziness I just decided to drive my veryownself and anyone who cared to traipse along.  Laura and Trevor came with me. 

It was a beautiful evening as we walked toward Memorial Hall.  I don't know what time we arrived, but you had the three of us walking toward the building.  As we are walking, the following conversation occurs:

Laura: "So who are we seeing again?"
Me: "Phil Joel."
Laura: "Who's that?"
Me: "You know that group the Newsboys?"
Laura: "I think so."
Me: "Apparently he used to be in the Newsboys.  That's all I know." 

In the midst of this discourse, Trevor turns around and starts motioning for us to stop talking.  For the life of me, I couldn't understand why.  There was one guy headed toward us-one long haired, hippy looking dude.  Who was on the phone.  Why was Trevor wanting us to hush?  It's not like when Laura and I get together we're loud.  (If you know me at all, you know how noisy I am on my own.)

As soon as the Mystery Dude walks by, Trevor shakes his head sadly and hisses through clenched teeth, "That's him!"

"Huh?"  (Evening is not my most prolific time of day.)

"That guy who just walked by-that was Phil Joel!"

15 minutes later, sure enough, the same guy on his cell was the guy leading worship.

This is why you can't take me anywhere!

No comments: