Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Kentucky Derby Learning Centers, Part 2

(If you haven't read part 1, click here.  Also, for some free Derby puzzles, go right here.)

Hello again. 

We're coming around the final turn. 

If you have lots of classroom help, then start with the four centers I mentioned in Part 1, but add these:

Games:  You will need an adult.  You have two options.  You can play bingo.  (I made my own cards years ago with Derby vocab, and called it HORSE instead.  I'll see if I can find the website where I made those cards and post it.)  Or you can try this game requiring nothing more than a deck of cards.

Computers:  At my school each teacher has their own folder on the school wide server.  I saved a couple of links in a Word document.  They can take a virtual field trip.  Or they can go look at all the hats.  And we've seen a massive interest in Secretariat since the movie.

Derby Read Alouds:

Perfect Timing by Patsi Trollinger-This book is my favorite because a) the story is beautifully written b) the illustrations will give you chills and c) I know the author and her family personally.  Use this book to discuss how the character overcomes adversity, as well as sequence, and compare and contrast horse racing from 1800s and today.

The Last Black King of the Kentucky Derby by Crystal Hubbard-The main character in this book looks up to the main character in Perfect Timing, so you can make a connection between those two books. You can also discuss the important role of African Americans in the Derby. 

Seabiscuit, the Wonder Horse by Meghan McCarthy-Yeah, I know Seabiscuit never raced in the Derby.  And he beat Man'o'War.  But there are great themes in this book about second chances and friendship.  You can also identify the key idea and details.

I also keep juvenile chapter books about the Derby and some photo books about the Derby in my room during the week.

Hope you and your class have a great time! If you do something that's not on here, please let me know...I'm always on the lookout for new ideas!


No comments: