Thursday, June 14, 2012

Say What?

Like most southern girls I know, I've got a problem with my mouth. 

Okay, so a few months ago (like, three) a lady I worked with sent me an invite to Pinterest.
And my life has not been the same.

Aside from the fantabulous ideas and resources there, I began to notice something.

I might pin something, and then Kathie pins it.  After Kathie pins it, Amy repins Kathie's pin (which was originally mine, if you recall).  After that, Stefanie might repin Amy's pin (which if you follow my logic was originally "mine").

This whole thing (besides watching with bemusement as to just how many degrees it will go) has made me think a lot about the words I use-especially if they are not kind or encouraging (i.e. gossip).

Just like when I repin something on Pinterest, when words leave my mouth, I really don't know how far they'll travel.  I don't know where they'll end up, but (unlike Pinterest) you can usually trace the words back to the original speaker.

It makes me think long and hard about Proverbs 10:19, "Where words are many, sin is not absent; but she who holds her tongue is wise."

So this is a challenge to myself to use my words carefully and diligently-to help them build up and not tear down. 

Somewhere on Pinterest is that Proverb.  And I will definitely (and proudly) repin it.

No comments: