Saturday, August 14, 2010

Hey, Kettle! This is Pot!

In keeping with the bizarre things that just HAPPEN to me on the highway, consider this:

I'm driving down the highway the other day.  Since this is where I spend approximately 20% of my time, it stands to reason I may on occasion chat on the phone. 

Sue me. 

For the last couple of days I'd been trying to get in touch with a dear friend of mine who has been through it lately.  It's odd (and not in a good way) how our summers have mirrored each other.  We both teach school, and we both have brown hair, but she's way more funny. This summer we have both been dealt father illnesses.  I found out the latest last week and was trying to call her and catch up.  This is complicated by the fact I'm now working and we're separated by a time zone.

Which is why I was so glad to be able to talk to her when she called the other day as I was driving home. 

And because in Kentucky there is no shortage of idiots, I have a biker who passes me by and yells, "Get off the phone before you wreck!"

It took me a moment to process what he'd said.  Because the top was down and the wind was loud.  And he was gone before I could even give him an Evil Eye or Benevolent Smile.  I would like to think the proffered advice was said out of a place of warm, caring concern.  However, let's consider that age old axiom, "Don't point a finger at others because there's three pointing back at you."  This gentleman:
  • Turned to face me the entired time he offered these wonderful and concise words of wisdom
  • Was on a motorcycle without a helmet
  • Was talking to a total stranger (Didn't his mama tell him about talking to strangers?)
And because I am a well read woman, the sage words of Bridget Jones came to me (and sadly I can't recall which book it's from):  "That's the pot calling the kettle dirty bottom."

No comments: