Saturday, August 7, 2010

Life Is A Highway

You wouldn't be-lieve what I witnessed on the road yesterday.  But I'll give you a hint: I've seen some bad drivers in the past, but I have now seen everything.

We've discussed the fact I commute to Lexington every day.  School starts next week.  Which means my classroom must be readied for the year.  I'm an early bird.  I can get more accomplished in the early morning hours before kids come into the building than I can after they leave.  Therefore, I try to get to school as early as possible, in order to maximize my productivity.

Which means I left the house at 6:15 on a Friday morning.  And was cruising through Nicholasville (the southern gateway to Fayette County) at 6:45 a.m.

I was in the left lane, adhering to speed limit.  There was a lane merger in the right lane, which is why I wasn't in that lane.  I check my rear view mirror, being the super responsible driver I am, to find a white Honda who has decided it would be loads of fun to ride in my backseat.  Being the utmost courteous driver, I check the right lane, see no one is merging, and head on over.

Deciding to express my frustration at having uninvited guests in my backseat, as they are passing me, I turn to give them The Evil Eye.  However, they were not available to receive The Evil Eye.  How come?  They had far more pressing matters at hand.

Like the dvd they were watching on all four screens in their car.

You read that correctly-this car had two very long screens installed in the sun visors, and two in the head rests.  And they had the system going while there was no traffic.  I was not impressed.  And thought I had seen it all.

Until today.

Heading back to my classroom, same highway, just a little bit further south.  I spy a biker couple.  He's infront, she's behind, and they've got a trailer, and they're hauling something.  I had to do a double take.

It's not every day you see a motorcyle hauling a red casket down a major highway.

Since the people on the bike didn't look bereaved, I'm assuming there was not a body inside the casket.

Two drives, two very weird things witnessed on the way to work.

Pray for me come Monday morning.  

No comments: